Reading Time: < 1 minutes
by Amanda Holst
Spaghetti bolognese (veggie)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup of button mushrooms, finely chopped 1 block of extra firm tofu, finely crumbled
- Whole wheat spaghetti
- 14 oz can of plain tomato sauce, no sugar added
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded parmesan (optional)
- Optional spices: garlic powder, dried or fresh basil, dried or fresh oregano, crushed red pepper, onion powder
- Sauce recipe serves four. Use as much pasta as needed. Sauce can be refrigerated.
- Prepare the spaghetti as per package instructions. Set aside.
- Chop the mushrooms into small pieces. Drain the tofu and use your hands to crumble it into small pieces.
- In a pan on medium to high heat, heat up the olive oil. When pan is hot, add the crumbled tofu and chopped mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté for about five minutes or so until the mushrooms reduce in size and the tofu begins to brown. Add the tomato sauce and spices to taste. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes or so until heated through.
- Serve over spaghetti and top with shredded parmesan. Enjoy!
— By Jordan, Lasell College
(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)
Amanda Holst is a recent graduate of at San Jose State University in California, where she majored in journalism and nutrition.