Life is full of ups and downs. One week you’re eating kale by the bucketful and the next you’re having cake for breakfast. While cake certainly has its place in a balanced diet, starting your day with nutrient-dense whole foods will give you the energy you need to stay focused through your morning classes. What if you could satisfy both of these impulses—the desire to eat foods that nourish your body, and the desire to treat yourself to something sweet and indulgent? Well, now you can have your cake and eat it (for breakfast!) too.
This carrot cake smoothie bowl combines the quickness of a smoothie with the staying power of a bowl of oatmeal. Top with walnuts and shaved coconut for a dose of healthy fats, or add a drizzle of maple syrup for when you’re feeling more “cake” and less “smoothie.”
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or your preferred milk)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 banana (frozen)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (cooked, cooled)
- 1/3 cup pineapple (frozen, chopped)
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon maca powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt (or non-dairy alternative)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shaved coconut
- Gather your smoothie and optional topping ingredients.
- Blend smoothie ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Add optional toppings and enjoy!