When you’re looking for a cheap, quick, and filling dinner, look no further than this savory oatmeal topped with garlicky green goodness. “But wait,” you say, “Oatmeal is for breakfast!” Not anymore, kids. True, this whole-grain staple is typically cooked as a sweet morning porridge, but it can easily be made into a savory dish just like rice or quinoa by cooking it in broth and adding your favorite veggies and seasonings. Savory oats are also a great breakfast alternative for those who aren’t into morning sweets. Top with a fried egg to make this dish even more filling, or double the recipe and save the extras for tomorrow’s lunch!
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups kale (frozen or fresh; stems removed, chopped into strips)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 fried eggs
1. Gather your ingredients
2. Cook steel-cut oats
- Heat vegetable broth and water to boil in a small pot.
- Once the broth is simmering, add in oats, lower heat, and stir occasionally.
- Cook oats for 15 minutes (until desired consistency).
- Optional: While oatmeal is cooking, pan-fry two eggs to desired firmness.
4. Cook kale
- Heat oil in a separate pot; add garlic and kale and stir to coat kale.
- Add 1/4 cup water, cover the pot with a lid, and stir occasionally.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Assemble bowls and enjoy!
- Once the oats and kale are cooked, remove them from the heat and portion into bowls.
- Top each bowl with red pepper flakes and a fried egg, if desired.